AzQHA Youth Association
AzQHA welcomes all youth members passionate about horses to join! AzQHA is proud to have a long history of supporting our Youth association. We are proud to sponsor the stalls and entries of the AzQHA Youth World Show team, in addition to offering multiple scholarship opportunities throughout the year for our Youth members.
Active Youth Membership Requirements:
- Submit an AzQHA Youth Membership Application by July 1st of the current year.
- Attend a minimum of 1 youth meeting (to be held at AzQHA approved events)
- Complete 8 Hours of Volunteer work (minimum of 4 hour at an AzQHA event)
- Fundraise a minimum of $200 through AzQHA Youth Fundraisers
AzQHYA BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2022/2023
AzQHYA Youth Advisor– contact AzQHA office 623-869-8037
ASCENT Program & AzQHYA Scholarship Interviews
AZQHA INTERSCHOLASTIC SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
Why do we call it ASCENT? Ascent means to a rise to an important position or a higher
level. The AzQHA is passionate about our youth and committed to doing all things possible to see our future generations rise up to the next level through education.
The Arizona Quarter Horse Association offers an Interscholastic Championship Invitational at the Arizona Fall Championship show.
Each class awards $1000 worth of scholarships. Each class to pay three places $500 to l st, $300 to 2nd $200 to 3rd
Criteria to compete:
- Youth must be an AzQHYA member the year of competition prior to their first no bling show competition. Memberships may be purchased at the shows or online at AzQHA.org
- Youth must be a current and active member of AzQHYA. See above for membership requirements.
- IEA or organized Youth team current year member (IEA memberships must be paid by Nov. l, of the preceding year to be a future year member)
- Youth must compete in a minimum of 1 class at atleast 2 AzQHA approved events.
Funds earned by exhibitors are kept in a restricted account by the AzQHA until they graduate from high school; then, the funds are paid directly to the college, trade school or university that student attends.
This is a wonderful incentive for youth to participate and compete in horse shows each year. Over time, it can add up to a significant boost to their education fund.
Many thanks to Dr. Joni Hegel for sponsoring AzQHA’s Youth Scholarship programs.
When can I redeem my scholarship?
Once you declare which accredited college or trade school you will be attending, contact the AzQHA Secretary, (623-869-8037 or AzQHAinfo@gmail.com) to redeem scholarship monies.
When are the requests due?
This is institution dependent, contact your schools financial aid department to determine deadlines and requirements. It is the responsibility of the scholarship recipient to request funds in time to meet any and all Financial Aid deadlines.
AzQHA will send the funds directly to the college the recipient requested, in the student’s name.
What is an accredited school?
Educational accreditation is a type of quality assurance process under which services and operations of educational institutions or programs are evaluated by an external body to determine if applicable standards are met. If standards are met, accredited status is granted by the appropriate agency. AzQHA will leverage the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs reported to the U.S. Department of Education as a validation source. (www.cd.gov)
The recipient will have up to two calendar years after their graduation from High School or GED to request their scholarship and begin attendance at the college, trade school or university. After 2 years the scholarships expire and monies will be allocated for future eligible students.
Disbursements allowed up to $4000 per semester and or $8000 annually. (Disbursement amount per semester may not exceed the students account billing)
AzQHA Board of Directors reserves the right to determine eligibility criteria and enhance the program as needed.
ANY ACTIVE* AzQHYA youth members can compete at the scholarship interviews that are held at the Arizona Fall Championship Show. Depending on the sponsorship funds received, up to 8 or more scholarships may be given and this amount may vary from year to year. Youth can only do one interview per year but can win multiple years.
*See above requirements
- Sign-ups will be at the Fall Championship show and the youth will have to sign up for a time slot for their interview, time slots are a first come/first served, if you have extenuating circumstance (i.e. Travel) please contact AzQHA Secretary to reserve a time slot.
- Youth will be asked pre-published interview questions and some non-published questions.
Where do you see the future of the Quarter Horse industry and what changes would you make to improve it and create more youth participation?
What has impacted you the most during your youth career? What career path are you taking in college?
What have you done to help support the growth of AzQHYA?
AzQHA Board of Directors reserves the right to determine eligibility criteria and enhance the program as needed
The Arizona Quarter Horse Youth Association has set up a $5000.00 scholarship for Arizona Youth members that are going to college. APPLICATIONS FOR 2022 NEED TO BE INTO AQHA BY December 1, go to AQHA Foundation for more information about how and what you need to do for this scholarship.